Action! Reaction! A film blog covering the banished and ever-lowly genre of action movies.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oscars or Oscar the Grouch?



I don't know yet, honestly. I can't remember the last time I sat down to watch the Oscars and was actually excited to do so. The peer pressure (from other film blogs) is astounding; I feel like its Oscars or death. Either way, I should be posting the results that I am particularly biased to, and probably ranting on some of the ones I am not.

On the note, I recently/finally caught up with The Wrestler. A tad bit overrated (opening titles a tack-on, handheld-only style workable but in no way revolutionary, Rourke nails the part but not much else, feels a bit overlong, etc), but it had one of the most tragic messages I've seen in a long time. To explicate this without spoiling anything, much has been made of the short-to-long speeches given by Rourke, from the "broken down piece of meat" speech, to the speech he gives to the crowd at a fight, but hands down, the most significant one, in my eyes, is the few words exchanged before he gets into the ring, backstage. That, above all, was the one that almost sent me running for the Kleenex--powerful, inspiring, to-the-point, and tragic to no end.

Anyway, we'll see if I come out of the trash can this year.

No comments:




Thanks for visiting!