Action! Reaction! A film blog covering the banished and ever-lowly genre of action movies.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Forest Whitaker is truly expendable after all


Run, Forest, run!

A sad day for The Expendables. I don't even want to reiterate it. I'll just start ranting.

Forest Whitaker was the fifth, but wholly necessary wheel to the upcoming Expendables. The quadruple threat of Stallone, Jet Li, Jason Statham, and Dolph Lundgren was a great, great development, but it needed an insurance policy, you know? Forest Whitaker was that policy, and now that's he gone, a definite sense of risk seems to surround the project. Van Damme or Wesley Snipes would've provided more than insurance, so would Sandra Bullock, but those three big names fell through. And I say big names because, after all, that's ultimately what this movie's about--it's not about the characters, it's about the personas behind them. The old-school, washed-up duo of Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts is cool, but that doesn't guarantee anything (there's a reason they're considered washed up). Either way, I have nothing against 50 Cent and I'll even go as far to say that I'm sure he'll do fine, but the doubt still lingers. Wrestlers, fighters, and rappers don't make surefire action stars. That's all I'm saying.

I'll still see it, dammit, but come on, Sly, keep it together.

No comments:




Thanks for visiting!