Action! Reaction! A film blog covering the banished and ever-lowly genre of action movies.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Respectable

Shia on Indiana Jones:

"I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished...If I was going to do it twice [Wall Street], my career was over. So this was fight-or-flight for me."

"You get to monkey-swinging and things like that and you can blame it on the writer and you can blame it on Steven [Spielberg, who directed]. But the actor's job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn't do it. So that's my fault. Simple."

"I think the audience is pretty intelligent. I think they know when you've made ... . And I think if you don't acknowledge it, then why do they trust you the next time you're promoting a movie...We [Harrison Ford and LaBeouf] had major discussions. He wasn't happy with it either. Look, the movie could have been updated. There was a reason it wasn't universally accepted."

"We need to be able to satiate the appetite...I think we just misinterpreted what we were trying to satiate."

"I'll probably get a call. But he needs to hear this. I love him. I love Steven. I have a relationship with Steven that supersedes our business work. And believe me, I talk to him often enough to know that I'm not out of line. And I would never disrespect the man. I think he's a genius, and he's given me my whole life. He's done so much great work that there's no need for him to feel vulnerable about one film. But when you drop the ball you drop the ball."


Via: LA Times/Film

2 comments:

Poetrash said...

Shia and Fox both are getting pretty whiny... Indy 4 wasn't that bad, but it was standard Summer/sequel/blockbuster/CGI-sploitation fare. The biggest young actors, they haven't gotten chances to work on hard material. DiCaprio had that opportunity, as did De Niro, Depp, and so forth.

Scorsese wrote hard material that really put actors to the grind, like Taxi Driver. But there isn't that style of directing that focuses on gritty action. Rather, everything is based on cartoon violence these days, literally - Transformers, comic books, cartoon violence.

Violence and action are different. One has drama, the other's aired in technicolor at 10am on Saturdays for children to inoculate their death drive with. Anyways, Shia's a white Will Smith, a sitcom star turned action hero, so he should just bulk up and deal.

Pat F. said...

Shia and Fox, no matter how intelligent or how good of actors they are, SHOULD be whiny and I'm glad someone's finally stepping up to the plate. Sure, it's easy to put down a bad thing, but it's a start, god dammit.

What you said about today's young actors not getting hard material is exactly right. In fact, I don't think they're even given the chance to begin with.

These days, everybody's gotta do their time. Shia, Transformers. K-Stew, Twilight. Zac Efron, High School Musicals (and musicals in general). The Potter trio...ending up like the SW trio. Micheal Cera, typecast. Jesse Eisenberg, typecast. Alia Shawkat--post AR--bastardized to the indie world a la Janeane Garofalo. Scout Taylor Compton, Halloween remake (AND HALLOWEEN SEQUEL REMAKE). Amanda Seyfried's already found a home in the Romcom cesspool. Don't get me started on Lindsay Lohan.

Dakota Fanning's got some cred. Paul Dano, too--he worked with the man himself. Anna Kendrick snagged (and nailed) Up in the Air. Ellen Page and Joseph Gordon Levitt were on the verge of being typecast/bastardized to indie pre-Inception, but Ellen's already looking a little out of her league there. Emile Hirsch = hit or miss. Jena Malone's struggled to stay afloat. Alison Lohman's been all over the place.

I don't know... You could argue that it's always been this way, but I say it's worse. It's worse than it's ever been, and Tom, dammit, if we don't get out there and do something about it, who the fuck will? GET YOUR ASS TO LOS ANGELES.




Thanks for visiting!