Action! Reaction! A film blog covering the banished and ever-lowly genre of action movies.

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Universal Soldier III: A New Beginning(?)



Universal Soldier III (or V, if you count the ultra-trashy TV in-betweens), seems to finally have gotten the green light. In an interview with MTV, Jean-Claude Van Damme says he's "just going to do ten days" and that "I don't know if they want to make it a video release or theatrical." As to the rumored reunion with Dolph Lundgren, Van Damme said, "I told them, guys bring in Dolph! They said there's no more value. I said, 'it will have value with me!'

So it looks like it's going to Van Damme's show (maybe cameo-show), which, while fairly disappointing, makes sense considering that two former Van-Damage directors are on board for the project, Simon Fellows (Second-in-Command, Until Death), and Peter Hyams (Timecop, Sudden Death), who will fill the role of DP, and who, according to Van Damme, is very important to him: "He was the only one who visited me in the clinic when I was there years ago. All the agents and managers who made a fortune with me never came."

If third entries in the Under Siege and Universal Soldier series come out at once, it may just be heaven on earth. The B action stars will have truly risen from the dead in a truly B-action way. My only request is that Lundgren do be brought back, even if it makes no sense in terms of the plot, because how could you have Universal Soldier without two action stars (Universal Soldier: The Return at least had Michael Jai White). Either way, I'm excited at the prospect of having a Van Damage team on board, because they may just get it right.

Your thoughts?

No comments:




Thanks for visiting!